Thursday, February 21, 2013

Chapter 7: Knowledge Construction




  Make a list of the sequence of skills necessary for ultimate mastery of the content of your lesson through a constructivist approach.

As I was thinking about a constructivist type of lesson I could teach, I first wanted to decide on a subject that really challenged students’ minds to open up and reach far, so I settled on Science. Next, I thought what grade do I want to teach? So I settled on the fourth grade since I am drawn to upper elementary classes. One standard for fourth grade Science is to focus on life science and how cells work. This can be a difficult topic to be introduced to. I really want them to gain a conceptual understanding of the material, and I believe this can be done by relating the jobs of each part of the cell to jobs in real life or even to the functions of a city. (e.g.  lysosomes could be the military or police). As a class we would discuss the parts of a cell and how they are very important to help them operate maybe relating it to body parts or car parts and how everything plays a special role. I would allow them to discuss this and in table groups write down ideas for how they might remember each part and its function. Because the Endoplasmic Reticulum is the transporting system one might compare it to a mailman.  My main assignment I would incorporate in this lesson would be a project based lesson where they would have to be creative and on a poster or 3D model construct a cell with its parts and make a chart of how its function related to something they could connect with (some ideas could come from group brainstorming). The final part of the project would be to write a letter to the cell describing the students’ favorite cell structure and why. I think authentic activities are a great for classroom use. I am not completely sure if this would help with a real world experience, but I feel like the assignment in the least teaches them to think in a more sophisticated manner they will encounter in the real world. I think a good sequence would be to ensure students were gaining a conceptualized understanding my focusing on main points as a whole and connecting them former knowledge and personal links. Next, would be group work, followed by the project.



Which of these learning activities/skills lend themselves to student’s individual or group construction?  How might you structure learning activities that lead students to discover these skills/these principles?

The part of the activity that requires students to collaborate with their table groups is a form of group construction by means of classroom dialogue, as students lean on another to for each other’s interpretation.  The second part of the lesson requires an individual constructivism, where students must use what they know and their personal ideas to connect cell jobs to whatever they choose. I would leave this open to gain an understanding myself of hoe they construct their own ideas. One way I think I might use to help discovery of constructivist methods is scaffolding. I would not want to use it all the time, but use it mildly to guide students in the right direction. I merely want to be a helpful tool in their learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment